CGAL 2.1 differs from CGAL 2.0 in the platforms that are supported and in functionality:
- The newest gnu compiler (2.95.2) on Sun, SGI, Linux and Windows.
- The Microsoft Visual C++ compiler, version 6.
- The mips CC compiler version 7.3 under Irix.
- Support for the old g++ compiler (2.8) and for mips CC 7.2 has been dropped.
- Added support for GeoWin visualization library. LEDA is required.
- Added support for the CLN number type together with CGAL.
- Min_quadrilateral optimisations have been added. These are algorithms to compute the minimum enclosing rectangle/parallelogram (arbitrary orientation) and the minimum enclosing strip of a convex point set.
Alpha shapes and weighted alpha shapes in 2D.
- Alpha shapes are a generalization of the convex hull of a point set.
Arrangements in 2D.
- Arrangements are related to and based on planar maps. The major difference between the two is that curves are allowed to intersect in the case of arrangements.
- Extensions to triangulations in 2D. Constrained triangulations are now dynamic: they support insertions of new constraint as well as removal of existing constraints. There are also constrained Delaunay triangulations.
- Both Delaunay triangulations and regular triangulations have been added.
2D Point Set
- A new package for 2d range search operations, Delaunay triangulation, nearest neighbor queries. This package requires LEDA to be installed.