CGAL 3.9 offers the following improvements and new functionality over CGAL 3.8:
- The class
Root_of_2is now deprecated. It is recommended to use the class
- The class
Sqrt_extensionis now used everywhere in CGAL where an algebraic number of degree 2 is needed. This change has been done in the
Root_of_traitsmechanism (indirectly packages 2D Circular kernel and 3D Spherical kernel) and the packages 2D Segment Delaunay Graphs and 2D Arrangements.
- Various fixes in the manual.
Combinatorial Maps (new package)
- This package provides a new combinatorial data structure allowing to describe any orientable subdivided object whatever its dimension. It describes all cells of the subdivision and all the incidence and adjacency relations between these cells. For example it allows to describe a 3D object subdivided in vertices, edges, faces and volumes. This data structure can be seen as the generalization in dD of the halfedge data structure.
3D Convex Hull (major performance improvement)
- The quickhull implementation of CGAL (
CGAL::convex_hull_3) has been worked out to provide very better performances.
- The function
CGAL::convex_hull_3no longer computes the plane equations of the facets of the output polyhedron. However an example is provided to show how to compute them easily.
- A global function
convex_hull_3_to_polyhedron_3is now provided to extract the convex hull of a 3D points set from a triangulation of these points.
dD Spatial Searching (major new feature added)
- A traits-class and distance adapter that together with a point property map, allow to make nearest neighbor queries on keys instead of points have been added.
- Few bug fixes in the documentation have revealed some
inconsistencies that have been corrected. Two traits class concept
are now documented (
SearchTraits). Most other changes concerns only classes documented as advanced. One issue that user can encounter is due to an additional requirement on the nested class
Construct_cartesian_const_iterator_ddefined in the concept SearchTraits that must provide a nested type
Spatial Sorting (major new feature added)
- General dimension is now supported.
- Hilbert sorting admits now two policies: splitting at median or at middle (see user manual).
- Using a property map, sorting on keys instead of points is now easier
- The d-dimensional kernel concept and models have been modified to
additionally provide two new functors
- A new geometry-traits class that handles rational arcs, namely
Arr_rational_function_traits_2, has been introduced. It replaced an old traits class, which handled the same family of curves, but it was less efficient. The new traits exploits CGAL algebraic kernels and polynomials, which were not available at the time the old traits class was developed.
- A new geometry traits concept called
ArrangementOpenBoundaryTraits_2has been introduced. A model of this concept supports curves that approach the open boundary of an iso-rectangular area called parameter space, which can be unbounded or bounded. The general code of the package, however, supports only the unbounded parameter space. We intend to enhance the general code to support also bounded parameter spaces in a future release.
- The deprecated member function
Arrangement_2::Vertexhas been removed. It has been previously replaced new function
- The tags in the geometry traits that indicate the type of boundary
of the embedding surface were replaced by the following new tags:
- It is still possible not to indicate the tags at all. Default values are assumed. This however will produce warning messages, and should be avoided.