CGAL 5.4 offers the following improvements and new functionality over CGAL 5.3:
Added the cmake target
CGAL::CGAL_Basic_viewerto ease the compilation of programs using the basic viewer-based function
CGAL::draw(). This target will define the macro and link with
CGAL_Qt5target when linked with it.
The kernel providing exact constructions and exact predicates (
CGAL::Exact_predicates_exact_constructions_kernel) is now thread-safe. See changes in
2D and 3D Linear Geometry Kernelfor more details.
Shape Regularization (new package)
- This package enables to regularize a set of segments and open or closed contours in 2D and a set of planes in 3D such that all input objects are rotated and aligned with respect to the user-specified conditions. In addition, it provides a global regularization framework that can be adjusted for the user needs and any type of geometric objects.
Weights (new package)
- This package provides a simple and unified interface to different types of weights. In particular, it groups all weights into three category: analytic weights including all basic weights which can be computed analytically for a query point with respect to its local neighbors in 2D and 3D; barycentric weights, including all weights which can be computed for a query point with respect to the vertices of a planar polygon; and weighting regions, including all weights which are used to balance other weights.
2D Generalized Barycentric Coordinates (major changes)
- Breaking change: The headers
Triangle_coordinates_2.hare renamed to
- The classes
Triangle_coordinates_2are deprecated. The free functions
compute_triangle_coordinates_2()are deprecated as well. Instead, the free functions
triangle_coordinates_2()should be used.
- The enums
Type_of_algorithmare deprecated. Instead, the enum
Computation_policy_2should be used.
- The classes
Generalized_barycentric_coordinates_2are deprecated. As consequence, the concept
BarycentricCoordinates_2is deprecated as well. Instead, the classes
Mean_value_coordinates_2should be used.
- Added the class
Harmonic_coordinates_2to compute approximate harmonic coordinates in 2D. These coordinates satisfy all properties of barycentric coordinates inside any simple polygon.
- Added a new concept
DiscretizedDomain_2and a model of this concept called
Delaunay_domain_2, which is based on the Mesh 2 package. A model of this concept is required to use
- Added free functions to compute Wachspress, discrete harmonic, and mean value coordinates.
- All free functions and classes are now using ranges and property maps.
Most operations on
CGAL::Exact_predicates_exact_constructions_kernelobjects are now thread-safe if
CGAL::Quotient<CGAL::MP_Float>. The objects are not atomic though, so the usual restrictions on avoiding race conditions apply. For users who do not use threads, this can be disabled with
Added documentation for the class
Projection_traits_3, which enables the use of 2D algorithms on the projections of 3D data onto an arbitrary plane.
- Most operations on
Epeck_dobjects are now thread-safe, see 2D and 3D Linear Geometry Kernel for details.
Breaking Change: The traits function objects
Compare_x_near_limit_2are renamed to
A new hierarchy of traits concepts has been introduced. It captures all the valid combinations of boundary conditions for the 4 boundary sides of the parameter space. The 4 boundaries are Bottom, Top, Left, and Right. Each boundary side can be either contracted, identified, close, open, or oblivious. Not all possible combinations are valid. If one side is identified then the other must be as well. Two adjacent sides cannot be contracted.
A new geometric traits,
Arr_geodesic_arc_on_sphere_traits_2has been introduced. It handles arcs of great circles embedded on the unit sphere.
- Added an extra parameter (
UsePolylines) to all free functions (
oriented_side) to control whether to use
Arr_polyline_traits_2as default traits. It is the new default as it provides better performances in general.
- Added support of weighted images for an improved quality of meshes generated from labeled images, along with a function
CGAL::Mesh_3::generate_label_weights()to generate the weights.
Added the function
CGAL::Polygon_mesh_processing::match_faces(), which, given two polygon meshes, identifies their common faces as well as faces present in only either of them.
Added the functions:
CGAL::Polygon_mesh_processing::bounded_error_Hausdorff_distance()that computes an estimate of the one-sided Hausdorff distance between two triangle meshes which is bounded by a user-specified error bound;
CGAL::Polygon_mesh_processing::bounded_error_symmetric_Hausdorff_distance()that computes an estimate of the symmetric Hausdorff distance bounded by a user-specified error bound; and
trueif the bounded-error Hausdorff distance between two meshes is larger than the user-specified max distance.
Added the functions
CGAL::Polygon_mesh_processing::squared_face_area(), which, compared to
CGAL::Polygon_mesh_processing::face_area(), enable avoiding square-root operations.
Added more functions in the visitor of the corefinement based methods to track all vertex creations.
Added an option to
CGAL::Polygon_mesh_processing::self_intersections()to report only a limited number of intersections (
- Breaking change: Added the functor
operator(const Vector_3& v), which computes the squared length of
v, to the
- Added support for
libpointmatcher::GenericDescriptorOutlierFilterthat enables providing a map from a point to a weight associated with this point.
- Added new shapes to the Region Growing algorithm on a point set: circles in 2D, spheres in 3D, and cylinders in 3D.
- Added support for the OSQP solver. This solver enables to efficiently compute the convex Quadratic Programming (QP) problems arising in the context of several packages.